Let’s Start with Safal Niveshak
Just in case you missed any of this on Safal Niveshak over the last few days…
- Released second StockTalk 2.0 report…on India’s leading commodities exchange, MCX . See some interesting discussion in the Comments section of the report.
- Answered five key questions on rupee’s depreciation , and whether things can get worse.
Seeking Wisdom from Peter Bevelin is one of the most amazing books I’ve ever come across on human behaviour and mental models. Here is an excerpt that Bevelin carries in this book where Warren Buffett is talking to analysts at the New York Society in 1995, about the three timeless ideas for investing …
His [Benjamin Graham] three basic ideas – and none of them are complicated or require any mathematical talent or anything of that sort – are:
- that you should look at stocks as part ownership of a business,
- that you should look at market fluctuations in terms of his “Mr. Market” example and make them your friend rather than your enemy by essentially profiting from folly rather participating in it, and finally,
- the three most important words in investing are “margin of safety” – always building a 15,000 pound bridge if you’re going to be driving 10,000 pound truck across it …
So I think that it comes down to those ideas – although they sound so simple and commonplace that it kind of seems like a waste to go to school and get a Ph.D. in Economics and have it all come back to that. It’s a little like spending eight years in divinity school and having somebody tell you that the ten commandments were all that counted. There is a certain natural tendency to overlook anything that simple and important.
Stimulate Your Mind
Here’s some amazing content I read during the week gone by…
- Next time I speak in public, I’ll hire a few dummy clappers! Why? Clapping is contagious , and the length of an ovation is influenced by how other members of the crowd behave. 🙂
- Can Murthy 2.0 save Infosys 3.0 ? Forbes India tries to find the answer by asking five close Infy watchers.
- Failure can hurt. If you’re feeling it deep within your heart, here’s Leo Babauta of Zen Habits on how to deal with failures .
- Fear is an unavoidable part of being human. It’s a daily reality. But is fear our real enemy? Is fearlessness the way to go? Seth Godin answers .
- You still haven’t read Cialdini’s amazing book called “Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion”? Spend the next 12 minutes watching this video to learn about the six universals that guide human behavior that Cialdini has written about in his book.
If you can’t see the video above, click here .
If you haven’t done it already, sign up here to receive Poke the Box in your email…and get ready for stimulating Saturday mornings.
Believe in yourself.
Till next weekend…
Chief Poker – Poke the Box